I read krystallina’s (Daiyamanga) Manga Tag post and thought this will be fun and interesting. Just like krystallina, I will add a count of how big my collection is. I’m bilingual and read in both my languages, so I will also include the German localized manga titles I own.
My physical collection totals: 1349 (1244 English & 105 German; does not include pre-orders nor doujinshi/fanbooks). Just for curiosity’s sake I also calculated how many digital titles I own: 663 (621 English & 42 German; not including pre-orders).
- What was your first manga?
Here’s why I included my German manga because Codename: Sailor V (German) is my first manga title overall and Sailor Moon (English) is a close second.
- What was your most expensive manga?
That’ll be the Black Bird boxed set. Even though I bought it at 50% off, but it still cost me $75.
- What was your least expensive manga?
Least expensive title would have to be Moon & Blood Vol. 1-3 by Nao Yazawa. I bought them as a bundle for $6, which comes out to buy one get two free because retail price is $6.95 per volume.
- What was the most boring manga you own?
Instead of boring, I’m choosing one that I have either not revisited or it didn’t leave a lasting impression. That title is Guardian Angel Getten. I honestly can’t recall the plot.
- What is your favorite manga series?
Ooh, this is tough. I have SO many favorites. I guess I could narrow it down by genre.
- Shojo: Red River by Chie Shinohara & Vampire Game by JUDAL
- Shonen: BLEACH by Tite Kubo
- Josei: Von fünf bis neun by Miki Aihara
- Yaoi: Crimson Spell by Ayano Yamane & Hide and Seek by Yaya Sakuragi
- Seinen: Gangsta. by KOHSKE & Vinland Saga by Makoto Yukimura
- What is the most relatable manga series you own?
Another tough one since I have so many that I relate to on some level. I’m going to list two: Girl Got Game by Shizuru Seino & W Juliet by Emura. Being mistaken for male is a constant in my life, so I relate a lot more to gender-bender titles.
- What is the one manga you own that is based off an anime?
The Vision of Escaflowne by Katsu Aki & Princess Tutu by Art: Mizuo Shinonome Story: Ikuko Itoh/Jun-ichi Satoh.
- What is your rarest manga?
I own a few German limited edition versions, but I wouldn’t count those as “rare.” Maybe my copies of flipped manga would be considered rare now, which include: Magic Knight Rayearth (1st print edition), Sailor Moon (Mixx versions), and Codename: Sailor V (Egmont 1st print edition)
- What is the most reprinted manga you own?
Probably Sailor Moon. I have Mixx, Tokyopop, Kodansha USA, and Egmont Manga (German) versions plus a few copies of the German serials.
- What is the most popular manga you own?
Hmm… I guess Naruto and BLEACH. I haven’t gotten around to buying Attack on Titan yet.
- What is the most damaged manga you own?
Sailor Moon vol. 2 (Tokyopop) due to water damage when a bottle of water leaked in my backpack. Seriously upset me since I like to keep my books in pristine condition.
- Which manga has the most amazing art?
Wow! So many tough choices. If I have to choose, then it’ll be Bride of the Water God by Yoon Mi-kyung. The art is just SO pretty. I tend to get distracted by the art whenever I read a volume.
- What is the oldest published manga you own?
Oldest published title based on original Japanese published date is Captain Ken by Osamu Tezuka (1960).
- What is the newest published manga you own?
Newest published title based on original Japanese published date is Alice in Junk Box by QuinRose/Fujimaru Mamenosuke.
- What are some of the most recent manga you have purchased?
Since I did just attend AnimeFest and I always come home with a good manga haul, so I bought a few titles. Fushigi Yuugi: Genbu Kaiden vol. 8-12, Gangsta. vol. 3-4 & 6, Ouran High School Host Club Vol. 13, and Phantom Thief Jeanne vol. 2-3.
That was fun, so I’m tagging all of y’all reading this to also play along. ^_^ I will admit it was tough to choose favorites for some of the questions.