If y’all are avid shojo, josei, and/or audio drama fans, then Sparkler Monthly is right up your alley.
Never heard of Sparkler Monthly? Here’s a snip from their About page:
Sparkler Monthly is a multimedia, digital shojo/josei magazine of original English-language fiction.
The primary audience for Sparkler Monthly is girls and women aged 15 and up, or anyone interested in the rough ballpark of Female Gaze. Our four founders and most of our staff identify as female and are committed to promoting inclusive, fem-positive, and ridiculously fun content.
Still haven’t piqued your interest? Then check out the Year 1 Sampler, which includes the first chapters from all Year 1 series: Off*Beat, Dire Hearts, Windrose, The Ring of Saturn, Gauntlet, Tokyo Demons, Dinner Ditz, Awake, Dusk in Kalevia, Skyglass, & Dead Endings.
Before Sparkler Monthly, there was Tokyo Demons written by Lianne Sentar and illustrated by rem. I came across Tokyo Demons around Christmas 2012, when a sidebar ad popped up while I was reading some fan fiction. Let’s just say that I absorbed ALL that was available of Tokyo Demons at the time. It’s a really good series that hits you right in the feels. I’m totally looking forward to Book 3 in Sparkler. But what brought me to Sparkler was the Off*Beat vol. 1-2 Kickstarter especially since they announced that Off*Beat vol. 3 would be serialized in the magazine. Other than Off*Beat & Tokyo Demons, I seriously fell in love with the light novel Gauntlet, an urban survival game with some dark twists. The audio dramas are really good, too. I’ll admit I didn’t start listening to Awake till chapter 6 and told myself, “Why didn’t I start this from the get go?!” There’s also a mature imprint: Cherry Bomb, which I’ll say are quite intriguing reads. Cherry Bomb Collection 1 is a collection of short stories for Awake, Gauntlet, Skyglass, and Tokyo Demons.
Sparkler Monthly gives us (members) such a great selection of titles, that it still surprises me that there aren’t more members. The subscriber exclusives are definitely one of my favorite benefits to being a subscriber.
Now onto why I’m really writing this…
It’s now year 2 for Sparkler Monthly and they’re doing a membership drive to gain enough readership (2,000) to continue after year 2. I personally would LOVE for Sparkler Monthly to still be around after year 2. Okay first off, here’s a breakdown of ways to subscribe:
- Monthly Member ($5/month), which gives you access to the exclusives and the current Sparkler issue
- Year+ Member ($50 + 1 free ebook), which has the same access as Monthly Member. Note: Free ebook does not include Sparkler Distro books.
- VIP Member ($15 1st month & $10/month after OR $125 up front for the year). VIPs get same access and then some: get access to ALL exclusives and collected ebook of the current series.
The drive has some pretty sweet incentives/extras.
Note: I’m paraphrasing for length, so check out Sparkler’s membership drive page.
100 Members – Sparkler Prize Pack Raffle, which contains a selection of paperbacks, zines, merch, sparkly things, and candy.(SUCCESS)
- 200 Members – Sparkler Prize Pack Raffle (5 Winners)
- 300 Members – Tokyo Demon’s artist rem will a sexy body pillow case of a Tokyo Demons bishonen.
- 500 Members – An all-new Off*Beat short story as an audio drama.
- 750 Members – Take down the pay wall for ALL back chapters and Cherry Bomb imprint will be part of the membership.
- 1000 Members – Will increase story slots from 5 to 6 in the magazine.
- 1500 Members – Story slots wil go from 6 to 7.
- 2000 Members – Visual Novel (similar to VNs from Date Nighto)
Pretty cool incentives, right? That being said I have something else to add as incentive… In appreciation to my followers, I’ll do a raffle for 5 Monthly subscriptions. To qualify for the raffle, you need to be following this blog and like this post by October 31, 2014 at 11:59 PM (CST). That’s it! On November 1st, I’ll gather all the names and randomly pick the winners!
Happy Reading, y’all!!